Hotels, apartments and best places where to stay in Split to relax and sleep comfortably in this magnificent Croatian city.
The city of Split envelops with its beauty every tourist who visits it. It is together with Dubrovnik the Croatian islands and the Plitvice Lakes is an obligatory stop if you are making a route through Croatia.
Its small historic center holds a lot of history that narrates through buildings such as the Diocletian Palace or the Cathedral of San Duje. The narrow streets mixed with restaurants, bars and squares add their share of beauty.
🔝 Check out these recommendations on things to do in Split in two days.
In addition, near the historic center you have places for hiking and enjoy the city from above or as Marjan Park, and beaches to lie in the sun and enjoy the clear water as Bacvice.
If you are planning to visit the city, we have made a list of the best areas and recommended accommodations to stay in Split. Let’s discover them!
📜 TABLE OF CONTENTS
Where to stay in Split for nightlife
Where to stay in the historic center of Split
The historic center of Split can be easily covered in one day, and even if you get into the rhythm in half a day. Its stone buildings, bell tower, small terraces and shops stand out in the place.
Sleeping in the historic center of Split has the advantage of being meters away from all the attractions surrounded by spectacular beauty, but you have to consider that in summer there is a lot of bustle at all hours, prices are higher and if you go by car parking is impossible.
Our recommendations for sleeping in the historic center of Splitare as follows:
- Malena Palace: run by its owners, it is a simple accommodation with an excellent location, less than five minutes walk from the Diocletian’s Palace.
- Ćiri Biri Bela boutique: for young people or tourists traveling on a budget, it is a hostel with modern facilities, shared rooms and lockers for storing belongings.
- Guest House Maris : is located in an old stone house typical of Split and next to the historical center. Very nicely decorated rooms, excellent cleanliness and good service. Ideal for couples.
- Hotel Slavija: very good value for money for being in the center of Split. Spacious rooms for both couples and families, restaurant with delicious food and good breakfast.
📷 Book here the best tours in Split.
The Varos district, near the Split Marina
The Varos area is located between Marjan Park and the sea, next to the historical center, which can be reached on foot in a few minutes. This is an excellent place to relax, eat in restaurants overlooking the sea, enjoy some of the marina bars and watch the small yachts moored.
It also has small beaches, with practically no sand, but with stairs and cement platforms to jump directly into the sea. The good thing is that it is not as crowded as Bacvice beach.
Our recommendations for sleeping in the Varos area of Split are as follows:
- Meje Apartments: a few meters from the marina and the beach, is an apartment with garden and kitchen. Very good attention from the hosts.
- Apartment Macho: large apartment with sea view and fully equipped kitchen. Ideal for families.
- Adriatic Blue View: modern, spacious apartment with sea view. Close to the historic center, the marina and the sea.
🔝 Looking for more places to see in the country? Check out this article on things to do in Croatia in 7 or 10 days.
Where to stay in Split near the beach
Bacvice beach area, an ideal place to stay in Split
A few minutes from the city center and next to the harbor, the Bacvice beach area is a good alternative where to stay in Split.
Although it is also very frequented by tourists, it allows you to be meters away from the sand, although the beach is not one of the most beautiful in Croatia, and in a slightly quieter place than the historic center.
Our recommendations for accommodation in the Bacvice beach area are as follows:
- Hotel Park Split: five-star quality accommodation next to the beach with outdoor swimming pool, sauna, fitness center, restaurant and bar. Ideal for a romantic visit to Split.
- Briig boutique hotel: modern building and facilities, very spacious rooms with sea views and rooftop pool and bar. What more could you ask for?
- Apartment Antonija: close to the beach, the harbor and the historical center, offers ideal apartments for families. Even if you go to Split by car, they will find a parking place for you.
- Apartments Suzy: with excellent facilities and fantastic views of the beach and the sea. Elegant, designer, it is ideal for couples.
Znjan, the place for relaxation and the beach
Do you want to wake up to the sound of the sea in an area of absolute tranquility? Then Znjan is the ideal place with a large number of beachfront resorts and apartments.
In this area there is no shortage of restaurants and beach bars. The historic center is about four kilometers from the site, you can walk there but it will take you about an hour to get there.
Our recommendations for sleeping in the Znjan area are as follows:
- Amphora Hotel: located on the beachfront, from the rooms you have beautiful views of the sea. The lodge has three swimming pools, spa and gymnasium. Ideal for relaxation.
- Hotel FanatHotel Fanat: beachfront is a full service accommodation with all the amenities including indoor swimming pool, sauna and restaurant. Excellent value for money.
- Priska Med Luxury RoomsPriska Med: 800 meters from the beach of Znjan offers luxurious, well-equipped apartments. In front of the building there is a bus that will take you to the historic center in 10 minutes.
🔝 Looking for information to travel to the Balkan country? Check out our Croatia travel guide.
Other areas: Lovret, far from the chaos but close to the city center
More residential and with more tranquility, the Lovret neighborhood can be an excellent alternative if you go with your family or by car, as it is an area with many parks and parking is no longer as complicated as in the historic center.
In addition, you can walk to the center in just 10 minutes, there are supermarkets, cafes not so touristy and the accommodations are less expensive than staying in the most crowded area.
Our recommendations for sleeping in the Lovret neighborhood are as follows:
- Villa Domina: design apartments a few minutes walk from the historic center. Spacious, with equipped kitchen and garage space to leave the car.
- Varos Square: operates in a traditional Split stone building completely remodeled inside with elegant details. Excellent service and good prices.
- Hotel GloboI: in a quiet area to rest, it is a typical lodging with the possibility of parking the car in the vicinity without problems. Spacious and bright rooms.
- Cornaro Hotel: varied breakfast with local specialties, terrace on the top floor to see the city and have a drink at the bar. Very spacious rooms.
🏨 Do you want to look for other options? Find here the best best hotels in Split.
Tourist apartments in Split and Sobes
Tourist apartments are an excellent option for accommodation in Split. The offer is very wide and even the local families themselves offer their apartments for tourists.
Also in Croatia are very common the sobes, where locals offer rooms in their own homes to receive tourists. You have to agree on the price beforehand, usually cheaper than a traditional hotel, and some include breakfast. We used it in Split and the experience was fantastic.
Buy your travel insurance and travel safe!
🚑 Take a look at these tips to choose the best travel insurance (updated to 2022) according to the type of traveler you are and, in addition, it will help you clear up the most common doubts. Travel safe!
Discounts and useful resources to save on your trip
- Cheap flights with Skyscanner
- Rent a car with Auto Europe
- Interrail Pass
- Eurail Pass
- Train Tickets with OMIO
- Bus tickets with OMIO
- Ferry tickets with OMIO
- Asia tickets with 12Go
Activities and Tours
Others for your trip
For your travel blog
More articles on Croatia
- 7 Days in Croatia Itinerary, a Memorable Trip!
- Best Things to Do in Dubrovnik in 1 Day
- Best Things to Do in Split in 2 Days
- Best Things to Do in Zagreb in 2 Days
- Croatia Road Trip 10 Days Itinerary
- Croatia Travel Guide, Itinerary and Tips
- Things to Do in Istria, the Best Road Trip
- Things to Do in Zadar in One Day, All Info
- Visiting Plitvice Lakes, a Complete Guide
- Where to Stay In Dubrovnik, Best Hotels and Areas