If you are going to visit the city, we recommend the best places to stay in San Sebastian: charming hotels, hostels and much more.
There are plenty things to do in San Sebastian, from the emblematic Playa de la Concha beach, a pintxo route through the historic centre to the breathtaking views from Mount Igueldo.
But it is not only the city that has its charm, if you are driving through the Basque Country, then you should also visit the surrounding area, such as the towns of Zarauz and even cross the border into France and visit Biarritz.
To rest after the tour, we recommend the where to stay in San Sebastian and places to spend the night.
📜 TABLE OF CONTENTS
Where to stay in San Sebastian: the Old Town
At the bottom of Mount Urgull and the castle of La Mota is the Old Part of San Sebastian, formerly a walled city. Strolling through the cobbled streets and stopping off at the local eateries to sample their pintxo specialities is one of the things you have to do in San Sebastian.
The Old Town is one of the best places to stay in San Sebastian. Our recommendations are as follows:
- Hotel SANSEbay: excellent alternative if you are travelling with your family. It has spacious rooms for 3 and 4 people and beautiful flats for 5 and 6 people with fully equipped kitchen and dining room.
- Hotel Parma: modern rooms with views of the bay of La Zurriola, close to the bars and restaurants of the Old Town. Excellent cleanliness and service.
- Lasala Plaza Hotel: For absolute comfort, this four-star accommodation offers a terrace with a swimming pool and views of La Concha beach. Spacious and nicely decorated rooms.
🔝 Want to explore the city better? You can do it with an experienced guide with these free tours of San Sebastian.
Where to stay in San Sebastian, La Concha Beach
The wide and famous beach in the centre of San Sebastian, which stretches from Mount Urgull to the so-called Pico de Loro. You will surely be struck by the difference in tide, as at high tide the beach is practically non-existent and at low tide there is a large sandy area to sit in the sun or dive into the Bay of Biscay.
Resting on the beachfront or near La Concha beach is one of the best options for sleeping in San Sebastian. Our recommendations are as follows:
- Hotel Niza: perfect to go as a couple and enjoy a romantic getaway as they are right in front of La Concha beach. From your room you can look out over the sea every day.
- Hostal Alemana: if you are looking for a cheap alternative on La Concha beach, this accommodation is ideal. Comfortable rooms just a few metres from the beach. Good value for money.
- Hotel de Londres y de Inglaterra: to feel like royalty in this hotel housed in a 19th-century Belle Époque building on the beachfront. It has a restaurant and bar.
Where to stay in San Sebastian, the Gros neighbourhood
Separated from the old part of San Sebastian by the Urumea River, the Gros neighbourhood is home to Zurriola beach and the beautiful Centro Kursaal Elkargunea building. With areas of restaurants and bars, it is an area frequented by young people and surfers.
If you are going to sleep in the Gros district, we recommend the following options:
- Surfing Etxea: ideal hostel for young people looking for a good atmosphere in San Sebastian, almost in front of the Zurriola beach. Good cleanliness and the beds in the shared rooms have some privacy.
- Pension Kursaal: simple, modern rooms just metres from the convention centre and Zurriola beach. Very good value for money for a couple.
- Hotel Arrizul Congress: spacious double rooms and suites for couples or families in a renovated old building. Nice details in the decoration and a lot of relaxation.
🏨 Do you want to look for other options? Find here the best hotels in San Sebastian.
Sleeping in the surroundings of San Sebastian
As we have already mentioned, San Sebastian is not only a city to enjoy and explore. The surrounding area offers breathtaking landscapes, wild beaches or small villages with a lot of history.
If you want to stay in the outskirts of San Sebastian and be surrounded by the green and mountainous landscape of the area, then we recommend you to read our article about rural houses in the Basque Country.
🔝 If you are not travelling by car, check here for excursions from San Sebastián and book your trip here. Basque villages, hiking routes and a visit to Biarritz, among others.
Buy your travel insurance and travel safe!
🚑 Take a look at these tips for choosing the best travel insurance (updated to 2023 and with juicy discounts) for the type of traveller you are, and they will also help you clear up the most common doubts. Travel safe!
Discounts and useful resources to save on your trip
- Cheap flights with Skyscanner
- Rent a car with Auto Europe
- Interrail Pass
- Eurail Pass
- Train Tickets with OMIO
- Bus tickets with OMIO
- Ferry tickets with OMIO
- Asia tickets with 12Go
Activities and Tours
– Comparison of Travel Insurance 2023 –
Others for your trip
For your travel blog
- Hosting with Webempresa
(25% discount with the code “gracias25”)
- Web translation plugin with WPML
More articles about the Basque Country
- Best Things to Do in San Sebastián, the Pearl of the Bay of Biscay
- Rural Houses in the Basque Country for Family Holidays
- The Best Free Tours in Bilbao
- The Best Free Tours in San Sebastián
- The Best Itinerary to Visit Basque Country in 4 Days
- The Best Tours From Bilbao, 6 Options to Choose
- The Essential Road Trip in Basque Country
- Things to Do in Bilbao, the Most Avant-Garde Medieval City
- Tours From San Sebastian to Enjoy
- Visit to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe Hermitage
- Where to Stay in Bilbao, the Best Areas
Leave a Reply