What to consider when traveling around the world?
A few years ago, when we were just a traveling couple (without Benji and Feli) we planned a long trip.
The idea was to go around the world and cover several continents, but in the end, we decided to make a tour of those places in Europe and Asia that we wanted to know, that fit our budget, trying to always be summer to not travel with so much luggage, without taking planes, etc..
As you can imagine, there are many issues to consider when organizing a round-the-world trip.
So, to make sure you don’t miss anything, here’s a breakdown of the articles we’ve written about our trip that can help you plan yours.
Budget for a round-the-world trip
This article can help you plan how much you will spend approximately on your trip, taking into account, mainly, the countries you are going to travel to and the days you are going to stay. We also tell you what we have spent in the 14 months of our trip.
Our daily expenses
In these articles we include a detail of what we have spent in each country we have visited, with many useful tips.
Health care: travel insurance, first aid kit and vaccinations
It is one of the most important issues of a trip and the one that most people overlook thinking that “nothing will happen to me” or “I will never get sick”.
It is true that a priori it can be an important expense, but there are many alternatives, especially in travel insurance, from low-cost companies that allow you to pay as you go.
Find out all the details below:
What to bring on your trip: luggage, equipment and useful apps
It will be inevitable, because it happens to all of us: you are going to leave home with several extra kilos in your backpack or suitcase.
You will carry more stuff than you will use and need.
In these articles, you will find what we have taken (or what we have found most useful) on our trip:
Other articles that you may find useful in your travel planning:
#Matetrip – This is how our trip around the world was.
Some details of our trip:
- Length of the trip: 14 months / 430 days / from July 2014 to September 2015.
- It covered two continents: Europe and Asia (although the original idea was to continue through Africa).
- First destination: Cadiz (departing from Madrid)
- Last destination: Istanbul (we returned to Madrid).
- Main areas: Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Trans-Siberian and China, Southeast Asia, Indian Subcontinent and Central Asia.
- We took 11 flights, 6 of which were inbound, outbound and around the Philippines.
- Some highlights of our trip:
- We did Madrid – Hong Kong by land.
- A 16-day trek through the Himalayas, crossing a pass at 5,400 meters above sea level.
- Silk Road (many dreams fulfilled here: Samarkand, Darvaza Crater, Pamir Highway, Whakhan Valley and Afghan Market).
If you want to read the articles for each destination visited, you can click below (note: most of the prices and data are up to date).