All the information to contract the travel insurance to Europe, if you are thinking of going on vacation to the Old Continent.
Thinking of traveling to Europe? Travel insurance should not be missing from the list. In this article we explain the requirements, the different options you have to take out insurance, insured sums and more.
It is an important issue, and even more so since the coronavirus, since many European countries require it as a requirement for the entry of tourists.
📜 TABLE OF CONTENTS
Is travel insurance mandatory to enter Europe?
One of the items to add to the budget for travel to Europe is travel insurance. If you do not have European citizenship, it is a mandatory requirement to take out travel insurance with a minimum amount of € 30,000 to cover unforeseen medical assistance, repatriation and emergencies that may arise.
This requirement is imposed by the countries that form the Schengen treaty, these are Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
Purchase here the Schengen insurance for travel to Europe with a coverage of € 30,000.
That is to say, when entering as a tourist through any of these countries, the police in charge of border control may require you to show you the travel insurance you have taken out and that it complies with the established conditions (minimum sum of €30,000, covers the entire stay and repatriation if necessary).
🔝 Check out this article on how much it costs to travel to Europe.
Does Schengen travel insurance cover me for travel throughout Europe?
No. It is necessary to distinguish the countries that are part of the Schengen treaty of free movement of people from those that are not, in which you will have border control again.
Countries such as England, Ireland or Bulgaria, for example, are not part of this treaty, so the Schengen travel insurance will not cover you in these countries. If you plan to travel to any of them, it is advisable to take out a general travel insurance with a higher sum insured than € 30,000, so that you are not only covered in the Schengen countries but also outside them.
So, for example, if you enter Europe through Spain, you can move freely to France, Portugal, Italy or Germany, for example, and the Schengen travel insurance will be valid in all cases. If you travel from Germany to England, you will have border control and the Schengen insurance will not help you.
🔝 Check out this article on the must-see cities to visit in Europe if you are traveling for the first time.
Is it advisable to take out more coverage than the Schengen insurance?
The reality is yes, especially if you reality is yes not want to put money out of your pocket for any unforeseen event during your trip that requires hospitalization or surgery. A simple consultation with a doctor in Europe costs a minimum of €50.
However, in the event of a major health event such as a heart attack or stroke, you should complex fracture or emergency operationIf it is not a pre-existing disease, the costs associated with the interventions, hospitalization and stay in the medical center are considerably higher and may reach up to pass the maximum insurance sum of €30,000.
It should also be noted that, as mentioned above, Schengen insurance will not work in some European countries.
That said, there are many insurance options that, with higher sums insured and paying a little more, allow you to be covered for any eventuality and for all European countries.
✏️ Contract here Mondo insurance for travel to Europe with 5% discount or IATI insurance for travel to Europe with 5% discount. Both are excellent companies with different coverage plans.
🔝 Check out this article on how to travel cheaply in Europe.
Is the travel insurance on the Visa, Mastercard or other credit card sufficient?
The answer is no. The free travel insurance that comes with the credit card has a sum insured that usually does not exceed USD 20,000 (€ 18,000) and does not reach the minimum sum required for travel to Schengen member countries of € 30,000.
Normally, what many people do before traveling to Europe is to call the bank to pay extra and raise the sum insured to the minimum.
What we recommend is to read very carefully the coverage and conditions of the travel insurance provided by the credit card, becauseits coverage usually less than that provided by a traditional travel insurance company.
Thus, for example, many have an excess (a minimum price that you have to pay for any medical consultation or emergency regardless of the sum insured that you take out), or the sums insured for lost or stolen luggage are lower.
It is up to each individual to decide whether to travel with the insurance provided by the credit card or to opt for a higher coverage, thus paying more but with less worries.
How much does a travel insurance for Europe cost?
Schengen travel insurance costs approximately € 54 per month. If you travel within the Schengen countries for 90 days, which is the maximum allowed, the total cost of travel insurance for Europe will be approximately € 100.
In the case of opting for a travel insurance to visit Europe that covers non-Schengen countries such as England or Croatia, for example, insurances start at € 70 per month up to almost € 100, depending on the insured sums of the coverage you take out.
Buy your travel insurance and travel safe!
🚑 Take a look at these tips for choosing the best travel insurance (updated to 2023 and with juicy discounts) for the type of traveller you are, and they will also help you clear up the most common doubts. Travel safe!
Discounts and useful resources to save on your trip
- Cheap flights with Skyscanner
- Rent a car with Auto Europe
- Interrail Pass
- Eurail Pass
- Train Tickets with OMIO
- Bus tickets with OMIO
- Ferry tickets with OMIO
- Asia tickets with 12Go
Activities and Tours
– Comparison of Travel Insurance 2023 –
Others for your trip
For your travel blog
- Hosting with Webempresa
(25% discount with the code “gracias25”)
- Web translation plugin with WPML
More articles about Travel Tips
- 10 Best Things to Do in Granada, Discovering the Red Fortress
- 10 Days in Italy Itinerary, Top Highlights!
- 10 Most Beatiful Places to Visit in Spain
- 10 of the Most Beautiful Villages of Castellón, Spain
- 10 Things to Do in Porto in 2 or 3 Days
- 10 Things to Do in Trelew and Surroundings
- 10 Things to Do in Uspallata, the Gateway to Aconcagua
- 11 Things to Do in Recoleta, Buenos Aires
- 11 Things to Do in San Telmo Buenos Aires
- 12 Things to Do in Ushuaia, at the End of the World
- 13 Things to Do in Mar Del Plata, Stroll Around “la Feliz”
- 14 Things to Do Around Salta, Not to Be Missed!
- 17 Best Places to Visit in Patagonia Argentina (Must-See + Map)
- 25 Things to Do in Córdoba in 2 Days
- 6 Things to Do in La Boca Buenos Aires
- 7 Best Things to Do in Catamarca Argentina
- 7 Best Things to Do in Puerto Madero in Buenos Aires
- 7 Days in Croatia Itinerary, a Memorable Trip!
- 7 Things to Do in Bariloche in Summer
- 7 Things to Do in San Pedro de Atacama and the Best Tours
- 7 to 15 Days in Turkey Itinerary, Superb!
- 8 Things to Do in San Martín de Los Andes
- Adobe Route in Catamarca, a Trip Back in Time
- Algar Waterfalls: How to Get There, Price and Advice
- Alicante With Kids, to Enjoy All Year Long
- Andalusia in 10 Days, Route Through Southern Spain
- Andorra With Kids, 10 Plans for the Whole Family
- Bariloche in 4 days, the best travel itinerary
- Best 10 Things to Do in Costa Blanca
- Best 7 Things to Do in Chilecito La Rioja Argentina
- Best Beaches in Southern Argentina
- Best Campsites in the Valencian Community, and Enjoy Nature!
- Best Cities for Your First Time in Europe, Suggested Itinerary
- Best Hotels in El Calafate: Where to Stay
- Best Things to Do in Alicante in 2 Days (Or More)
- Best Things to Do in Cappadocia in 3 Days or More
- Best Things to Do in Cullera in 1 Day (Besides the Beach)
- Best Things to Do in Denia in 1 Day to Enjoy in Family
- Best Things to Do in Dubrovnik in 1 Day
- Best Things to Do in Istanbul in 3 Days
- Best Things to Do in Morella in 1 Day
- Best Things to Do in PEñiscola in 1 Day
- Best Things to Do in San Sebastián, the Pearl of the Bay of Biscay
- Best Things to Do in Split in 2 Days
- Best Things to Do in Valencia in 3 Days (By a Local)
- Best Things to Do in Villajoyosa in 1 Day
- Best Things to Do in Zagreb in 2 Days
- Best Travel Insurance 2023 (COVID-19): Our Tips and Experience
- Best Travel Insurance for the United States (2023)
- Complete Guide to Visit Titicaca Lake and Sun Island
- Croatia Road Trip 10 Days Itinerary
- Croatia Travel Guide, Itinerary and Tips
- Day Trips From Valencia: Best 5 Tours in English
- El Calafate in 4 days, the best travel itinerary
- El Chaltén in 3 Days, Travel Itinerary
- Essential Guide to Visit the Fallas of Valencia
- Getaways From Buenos Aires, the Best Places
- Guide to the Best Trekkings in El Chaltén
- Guide to Visit Machu Picchu, Tips and Advice
- Guide to visit Meteora and Its Floating Monasteries
- Guide to Visit Punta Cana, Tips and Must-See Sites
- Guide to Visit the Iguazu Falls From Both Sides
- Guide to Visit the Salar de Uyuni, the Best Tips!
- How Much Money to Travel to Asia
- How to Do the Route of the 7 Lakes in Patagonia Argentina
- How to Get From Bariloche Airport to the Center of the City
- How to Get From El Calafate Airport to the City
- How to Get From Mendoza Airport to Downtown
- How to Get From Salta Airport to Downtown Salta
- How to get from Ushuaia airport to downtown
- How to Get to Venice and How to Move Around? Get To Know the Best Options
- How to Travel Europe on a Budget, the Best Tips
- How to Travel Switzerland on a Budget, Tips and Prices
- Is Swiss Travel Pass Worth It, Tips and Examples
- Mendoza travel itinerary in 5 Days, trekkings and nature
- Perito Moreno Glacier: How to Get There and Things to Do
- Quixote Route by Car, the Most Beautiful Villages
- Rent a Car in Fort Lauderdale 7 Tips!
- Rent a Cheap Car in Miami, Comparators
- Road Trip Greece in 5 Days From Athens, the Best Itinerary
- Road Trip in Asturias in 7 Days, the Best Itinerary
- Road Trip Through Mendoza and San Juan (+Map)
- Route Through Andalusia in 7 Days, Itinerary
- Route Through the Best Towns Near Alicante
- Rural Houses in Andalusia to Travel With the Family
- Rural Houses in Asturias and Cantabria to Travel With the Family
- Rural Houses in the Basque Country for Family Holidays
- Rural Houses in the Pyrenees to Travel With the Family
- The 10 Most Beautiful Villages in Andalusia
- The 6 Best Tours in Mendoza Argentina
- The Best Free Tours in Bilbao
- The Best Free Tours in Buenos Aires
- The Best Free Tours in San Sebastián
- The Best Free Tours in Seville
- The Best Itinerary to Visit Basque Country in 4 Days
- The Best Swiss Alps Tours, the Must-Sees
- The Best Things to Do in Argentina in 15 Days
- The Best Things to Do in Asturias in 4 Days
- The Best Things to Do in Buenos Aires in 4 Days
- The Best Things to Do in Downtown Buenos Aires
- The Best Things to Do in Gijon in 2 Days
- The Best Things to Do in Jujuy, a Province Full of Color
- The Best Things to Do in La Rioja Argentina in 3 Days
- The Best Things to Do in Punta Cana Top 13 Activities and Tours
- The Best Things to Do in Tandil in 3 Days
- The Best Things to Do in Tarifa in One Day
- The Best Things to Do in Villa la Angostura
- The Best Things to Do in Xátiva in One Day: Castle, Hiking and More
- The Best Tours From Bilbao, 6 Options to Choose
- The Best Tours From Seville
- The Best Tours in Bariloche
- The Best Tours in San Martin de Los Andes
- The Best Tours in Ushuaia: Mountains, Lakes, Sailing and More
- The Best Trekkings in Aconcagua Provincial Park
- The Essential Road Trip in Basque Country
- Things to Do Around Cordoba City in Argentina
- Things to Do in Altea in 1 Day and With Kids
- Things to Do in Anna Valencia in One Day: Lake and Waterfalls
- Things to Do in Athens in 3 Days, 6 activities not to be missed
- Things to Do in Bariloche: The Best Activities
- Things to Do in Bern in 1 Day
- Things to Do in Bilbao, the Most Avant-Garde Medieval City
- Things to Do in Bocairent in One Day
- Things to Do in Brava Lagoon and Surroundings
- Things to Do in Cabo de Gata in 3 Days, the Best Itinerary
- Things to Do in Cachi and Route 33 From Salta
- Things to Do in Cádiz, a Stroll Along the Spanish Malecon
- Things to Do in Cafayate, Between Vineyards and Ravines
- Things to do in Calingasta Valley, San Juan Argentina
- Things to Do in Calpe With Kids Besides Its Rock
- Things to Do in Córdoba Argentina, You Will Love It!
- Things to Do in Cusco in 3 Days, the Historic City of Peru
- Things to Do in El Bolsón in One Day (And Lago Puelo)
- Things to Do in El Calafate, Glaciers and Much More
- Things to Do in Esquel in 2 or 3 Days (And in Trevelin)
- Things to Do in Fiambalá Catamarca, Trails, Dunes and Relax in Hot Springs
- Things to Do in Gandía and Playa de Gandía, Our Home
- Things to Do in Guimaraes in One Day, the City Where Portugal Was Born
- Things to Do in Iguazú in 4 Days
- Things to Do in Interlaken in 1 Day, 5 Must-See Places
- Things to Do in Istria, the Best Road Trip
- Things to Do in Jávea: Old Town, Coves and More
- Things to Do in la Cumbrecita, Village With Swiss Charm
- Things to Do in Las Grutas Argentina, Beach and Surroundings
- Things to Do in Lima in 1 or 2 Days
- Things to Do in Lisbon in 4 Days, Travel Itinerary
- Things to Do in Lucerne in 1 Day, a City With Lots of Charm
- Things to Do in Marbella Apart From the Beach
- Things to Do in Mendoza City and Surroundings
- Things to Do in Montevideo in 2 Days
- Things to Do in Pergamino, Our Beloved City
- Things to Do in Puerto Madryn: Sea, Whales and More
- Things to Do in Salta and Jujuy, 4, 7 and 10-Day Itinerary
- Things to Do in Salta City: Not to Be Missed
- Things to Do in San Juan Argentina, Sunny Destination
- Things to Do in San Rafael Mendoza, 14 Places to Enjoy
- Things to Do in Santander in One Day, Essentials
- Things to Do in Seville in 2 or 3 Days, Must-See Places
- Things to Do in Sierra de Los Padres, a Getaway From Mar Del Plata
- Things to Do in Switzerland in 4 Days, Suggested Itinerary
- Things to Do in the Salar de Uyuni and Surroundings, the Most Incredible Places!
- Things to Do in Tucumán, City and Province
- Things to Do in Venice and Surroundings, the City of Canals
- Things to Do in Villa General Belgrano, Brewery Land
- Things to Do in Zadar in One Day, All Info
- Things to Do in Zurich in 3 Days, a Quiet Walk by the Lake
- Tips for Travel to Argentina (By a Local)
- Tours From San Sebastian to Enjoy
- Upsala Glacier Tour and Other Glaciers
- Ushuaia in 4 days, the best travel itinerary
- Visa to Travel to Cambodia 2023
- Visit Albufera Natural Park Near Valencia
- Visit Ischigualasto, the Valley of the Moon in San Juan
- Visit Tabarca Island: How to Get There and What to See
- Visit Talampaya in la Rioja Argentina: Everything You Need to Know
- Visit the Castle of Belmonte, a World Medieval Castle
- Visit the Covadonga Lakes and the Sanctuary
- Visit the Pumice Field in Catamarca and Route 43
- Visit to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe Hermitage
- Visiting Plitvice Lakes, a Complete Guide
- Walking Tours in Valencia, 5 Best Free Guided Visits
- What Is Etias, a Requirement to Travel to Europe
- What It Is and How to Be a Digital Nomad
- Where Are the Tamarros in Andorra? Find these 7 magical beings
- Where to Go on Summer Holidays in Patagonia
- Where to Stay In Bariloche: Cabins and Hotels
- Where to Stay in Bilbao, the Best Areas
- Where to Stay in Buenos Aires, Best Areas
- Where to Stay In Cappadocia, Best Cave Hotels and Areas
- Where to Stay In Dubrovnik, Best Hotels and Areas
- Where to Stay In Iguazú Falls, Argentina and Brazil Sides
- Where to Stay in Istanbul, Best Areas and Hotels
- Where to Stay In Jujuy, Recommendations
- Where to Stay in Mar Del Plata: Hotels and More
- Where to Stay in Mendoza, the Best Hotels and Cabins
- Where to Stay in Salta, the Best Recommendations
- Where to Stay in San Martín de Los Andes
- Where to Stay in San Sebastián, Best Areas
- Where to Stay in Seville: The Best Places
- Where to Stay In Split, the Best Areas
- Where to Stay in Ushuaia, the Best Options
- Where to Stay In Valencia: Best Areas and Hotels
- Where to Stay in Villa la Angostura, the Best Options
- Why Rent a Car in Los Angeles?
Leave a Reply