With these tours from San Sebastian you will discover charming corners of the Basque Country, hiking routes and even cities in the French Basque Country.
If all there is to do in San Sebastian is not enough for you, the surrounding area has many attractions to offer both in the Spanish Basque Country and across Hondarribia to France. There are hundreds of charming places that deserve to be known.
Here are five tours from San Sebastian to discover the beauty of the area. Let’s discover them!
🔝 If you want to see more of the area with your own car or renting one, also take a look at this ROUTE through the BASQUE COUNTRY.
📜 TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Tours from San Sebastián to Biarritz and the French coastline
One of the excursions we recommend you make from San Sebastian is a visit to the French Basque Country. On this round-trip day tour you will visit the charming town of Biarritz with its beaches ideal for surfers and emblematic historical buildings such as the Casino or the Hotel Du Palais.
The tour will continue to the coastal town of Saint-Jean-de-Luz and Hendaye before returning to Spain by boat to Hondarribia. Quite an experience!
But it doesn’t end here, to finish the tour you will visit the centre of San Sebastian.
2. Tour to the fishing villages of the Basque Country
If you want to get to know the atmosphere of the fishing villages of the Basque Country, then this excursion from San Sebastian is ideal.
The tour begins with a visit to Hondarribia, one of the most charming towns that we recommend you visit if you are driving through the Basque Country. Here you can see why Hondarribia attracts visitors with its colourful houses.
The visit continues to San Juan, a village with a lot of history and where the main attraction is the houses hanging on the mountainside. The last visit is to San Pedro with its small and beautiful historic centre.
- Book your excursion to the fishing villages of the Basque Country here.
3. Tours from San Sebastian to the villages of Guipuzcoa
If you want to see the beautiful landscapes of Guipuzcoa then this tour is for you. The excursion from San Sebastian will take in three of the most charming coastal towns in the area: Orio, Guetaria and San Telmo.
Along the way you will discover the cliffs overlooking the sea, the fishing tradition of each of the villages and landscapes that will surprise you from beginning to end.
4. Excursion to Bilbao and San Juan de Gaztelugatxe
The city of Bilbao is the main city of the Spanish Basque Country. The Guggenheim Museum is its main exponent, although there are many attractions in the city such as the Cathedral of Santiago or the church of San Antón. The historic centre is an old industrial city converted into a tourist attraction and an exponent of art.
There will also be time to stop off the Basque coast to admire the beautiful hermitage of San Juan de Gaztelugatxe, which stands on an islet in the sea and is connected by a staircase that climbs up the rock. Did you know that scenes from Game of Thrones were filmed here? This place was Rocadragón.
5. Visit to the town of Zumaia
With this three and a half hour train trip to Zumaia, you will get to know the famous Flysch of the Geopark, strange rock formations formed over millions of years and which leave the geological evolution of the planet in the dark.
You will also visit the historic centre of Zumaia with buildings such as the Olazábal Palace and places where well-known films and series have been filmed, such as the San Telmo chapel (Ocho apellidos vascos) or Itzurun beach (Game of Thrones).
- Book your excursion by train to Zumaia here.
Discounts and useful resources to save on your trip
- Cheap flights with Skyscanner
- Rent a car with Auto Europe
- Interrail Pass
- Eurail Pass
- Train Tickets with OMIO
- Bus tickets with OMIO
- Ferry tickets with OMIO
- Asia tickets with 12Go
Activities and Tours
– Comparison of Travel Insurance 2023 –
Others for your trip
For your travel blog
- Hosting with Webempresa
(25% discount with the code “gracias25”)
- Web translation plugin with WPML
More articles about the Basque Country
- Best Things to Do in San Sebastián, the Pearl of the Bay of Biscay
- Rural Houses in the Basque Country for Family Holidays
- The Best Free Tours in Bilbao
- The Best Free Tours in San Sebastián
- The Best Itinerary to Visit Basque Country in 4 Days
- The Best Tours From Bilbao, 6 Options to Choose
- The Essential Road Trip in Basque Country
- Things to Do in Bilbao, the Most Avant-Garde Medieval City
- Visit to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe Hermitage
- Where to Stay in Bilbao, the Best Areas
- Where to Stay in San Sebastián, Best Areas
Leave a Reply