If you visit the main Basque city, you cannot miss these tours from Bilbao that we have selected, to discover all the beauty of the Basque Country.
If your intention is to visit Bilbao, what better than touring the different villages and unique places of both the Spanish and French Basque Country, including a visit to the hermitage of San Juan de Gaztelugatxe, with a Spanish speaking guide and insured transfers. You don’t need to bring your own car or hire a car, just let yourself go and enjoy these unique landscapes.
With these excursions from Bilbao with transfer and guide you will get to know these destinations and many more.
🔝 If you are going to travel by CAR, check this ROAD TRIP through the BASQUE COUNTRY.
📜 TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Tours from Bilbao: a stroll along the Basque coastline
If you want to get to know the beautiful villages and beaches around Bilbao, then we recommend this excursion.
On the tour you will see the suspension bridge at Bizkaia (one of the few in the world, a World Heritage Site), the exquisite Butron Castle and the magical hermitage in San Juan de Gaztelugatxe (one of the settings for the series Game of Thrones), to continue along the Cantabrian coast through the villages of Bermeo and Mundaka.
Finally, a visit to Guernica, a town with a long history in the Basque Country and Spain.
- Book your tour from Bilbao to the Basque coast here.
2. Tour to the hermitage of San Juan de Gaztelugatxe
One of the almost obligatory excursions from Bilbao is a visit to the island of San Juan de Gaztelugatxe, one of the main attractions to do in the Basque Country.
This small island separated from the mainland by a stone bridge with more than 200 steps is one of the symbols of the region. The landscape of cliffs by the sea and the hermitage on top of the small island are images that are sure to stay in your memory. All that remains is to climb the steps and reach the hermitage with the bottom of the sea as a witness.
You will also visit the beautiful town of Bermeo and Guernica.
- Book your excursion to visit San Juan de Gaztelugatxe here.
3. Tours from Bilbao to San Sebastian and Biarritz
A visit to the Basque Country is incomplete without a visit to San Sebastian, with La Concha beach, pintxo cuisine, the historic centre and the seafront promenade as symbols.
But this excursion does not only go through San Sebastian, it also goes deep into the French Basque Country to know the city of Biarritz with its beautiful old buildings on the seashore, the village of Saint Jean de Luz, and finally Hondarribia on the Spanish side, to see the city walls and the castle of Carlos V.
🔝 If you are visiting Donosti, take a look at all there is to do in San Sebastián.
4. Excursions from Bilbao: a tour of scenes from the series Game of Thrones
Have you seen the entire Game of Thrones series and are you a fan? Then this tour of the saga’s settings in the Basque Country is for you.
You will visit the King’s landing beach, which is actually Muriola beach in Barrika, Butron Castle and the island of San Juan de Gaztelugatxe with its hermitage (Rocadragon in the series). Finally, a visit to the beach for the arrival of Daenerys and her dragons.
If you’re a fan of Game of Thrones you can’t miss it!
- Book your Games of Thrones tour here.
5. Excursion through the interior of the Basque Country
The interior of the Basque Country also has its own charming corners and plenty of nature to discover. On this excursion you will visit the Gorbea and Urkiol natural parks with their lush forests, the village of Elorrio with its old houses carved in stone and the imposing sanctuary of Our Lady of Arantzazu.
A route through the most beautiful landscapes and historical monuments in the interior of the region with guide and transfers. The tour lasts six hours.
6. Excursions from Bilbao: a visit to Vitoria
The city of Vitoria could not be left out of the visit. This tour takes you on a walking tour of the old town with a specialised guide to discover Vitoria’s main attractions such as the Cathedral of Santa María or the Basque Parliament.
On the way back to Bilbao there will be time to visit the Añana salt mines, one of the most important salt mines in Spain centuries ago, and the famous Vizcaya Suspension Bridge.
- Book your trip to Vitoria here.
🔝 If you are going to spend some time in BILBAO, check also these FREE TOURS in Bilbao.
Discounts and useful resources to save on your trip
- Cheap flights with Skyscanner
- Rent a car with Auto Europe
- Interrail Pass
- Eurail Pass
- Train Tickets with OMIO
- Bus tickets with OMIO
- Ferry tickets with OMIO
- Asia tickets with 12Go
Activities and Tours
– Comparison of Travel Insurance 2023 –
Others for your trip
For your travel blog
- Hosting with Webempresa
(25% discount with the code “gracias25”)
- Web translation plugin with WPML
More articles about the Basque Country
- Best Things to Do in San Sebastián, the Pearl of the Bay of Biscay
- Rural Houses in the Basque Country for Family Holidays
- The Best Free Tours in Bilbao
- The Best Free Tours in San Sebastián
- The Best Itinerary to Visit Basque Country in 4 Days
- The Essential Road Trip in Basque Country
- Things to Do in Bilbao, the Most Avant-Garde Medieval City
- Tours From San Sebastian to Enjoy
- Visit to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe Hermitage
- Where to Stay in Bilbao, the Best Areas
- Where to Stay in San Sebastián, Best Areas
Leave a Reply