Planning a getaway or vacation to North America? We tell you how to choose the best travel insurance for the United States in 2023 with tips and price.
Who has never dreamed of visiting New York, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, the beaches of Miami or even the mythical route 66? The United States mixes the modernity of its cities with turquoise water beaches and incredible landscapes such as the Grand Canyon of Colorado.
In addition, it is a mecca for the film industry worldwide represented by Hollywood and for children it has the imposing Disney Park in Orlando. In short, it lacks nothing to provide total fun and entertainment for adults and youngsters.
When budgeting to visit the country, one of the items to take into account is travel insurance. Below we tell you why it is necessary and recommend who to hire it from.
📜 TABLE OF CONTENTS
Is medical insurance required to travel to the United States?
It should be clarified that it is not mandatory for tourists to take out travel insurance for the United States, but it is mandatory for students, but we would say that it is essential to have it. In this country, health coverage is totally private, which means that there is no free, universal, public health care, not even for U.S. citizens.
Any medical expenses, whether for a small consultation or fracture, or something more complex such as an operation or repatriation, will have to be paid out of the tourist’s pocket and the hospital where you will be treated will issue the invoice in your name for the expenses incurred.
The important thing to know is that any medical expenses in the United States are very expensive. A simple consultation costs as little as USD 200, while emergency care requires a minimum of USD 1,000.
If we talk about more complex cases, a fracture can have a price of USD 25,000 and any operation does not go below USD 60,000. To this must be added the days of hospitalization (minimum of USD 6,000 per day).
Tips on how to choose the best travel insurance for the United States
For all of the above reasons and in order not to lose several months’ salary in the event of an unforeseen event in the United States, it is advisable to take out travel insurance. We recommend that you observe the following points before purchasing:
- Travel insurance sums insured: the sums insured for medical expenses should be high due to the cost of hospital or clinic care. We recommend a minimum of €500,000 so that you can travel with peace of mind and be covered for any unforeseen event, including an operation.
- No excess: many travel insurances are cheaper because they include an excess, i.e. the amount you have to pay regardless of the medical expenses incurred. For example, if the travel insurance covers € 500,000 but has an excess of € 300 and you have a medical expense of € 500, the insurance will only cover you for € 200 and the other € 300 you will have to pay out of pocket.
- Repatriation coverage: in general, all travel insurances cover repatriation, but it is important to be aware of this.
- Covid-19 coverage: most travel insurance policies now include medical transportation, medical assistance, hospitalization, quarantine and repatriation in case you contract coronavirus.
📷 Book here the excursions in the United States with English speaking guide. There is something for everyone!
How much does a travel insurance for the United States cost?
While you may think that health insurance for travel to the United States is expensive, prices are low for the insured amounts covered and in comparison to the expenses you have to face if you have any unforeseen event, you do not have insurance and you must pay out of your pocket.
Taking into account an appropriate sum insured, the price of a travel insurance for the United States per person and for a two-week stay has a base price of € 45. As you can read, it does not require such a high expenditure in the travel budget calculation.
Best travel insurance for the United States
The companies that offer travel insurance for the United States are very wide-ranging. We recommend some of the following companies with the corresponding coverage and price (prices are based on a two-week trip from Spain/Argentina/Mexico or Colombia to the United States and calculated per person):
- HeyMondo top: coverage of € 3,500,000 for medical assistance, repatriation, covid-19 coverage, € 1,700 for damage or theft of luggage. Price € 65. You can hire it from here.
- HeyMondo Premium: coverage of € 10,000,000 for medical assistance, repatriation, covid-19 coverage, € 2,500 for damage or theft of luggage. Price € 83. You can hire it from here.
- Asegura tu viaje: actually, it is an insurance comparator widely used in Latin America, offering different prices and coverages. You can compare and choose the one that suits you best from here.
- Cap Assitance 24/7: 1,000,000 medical assistance coverage, repatriation, covid-19 coverage, €3,000 for baggage damage or theft. Price € 137. You can hire it from here. It also offers travel insurance to the United States for students.
In summary, if we compare the prices of travel insurance for the United States, the company Mondo with its HeyMondo top plan has the best price in the market with a coverage according to any unforeseen event that may arise in the United States.
🔝If you want to know how travel insurance works and why it is necessary, you can read our article on tips on how to choose the best travel insurance.
Discounts and useful resources to save on your trip
- Cheap flights with Skyscanner
- Rent a car with Auto Europe
- Interrail Pass
- Eurail Pass
- Train Tickets with OMIO
- Bus tickets with OMIO
- Ferry tickets with OMIO
- Asia tickets with 12Go
Activities and Tours
– Comparison of Travel Insurance 2023 –
Others for your trip
For your travel blog
- Hosting with Webempresa
(25% discount with the code “gracias25”)
- Web translation plugin with WPML
More articles about Travel Tips
- 10 Best Things to Do in Granada, Discovering the Red Fortress
- 10 Days in Italy Itinerary, Top Highlights!
- 10 Most Beatiful Places to Visit in Spain
- 10 of the Most Beautiful Villages of Castellón, Spain
- 10 Things to Do in Porto in 2 or 3 Days
- 10 Things to Do in Trelew and Surroundings
- 10 Things to Do in Uspallata, the Gateway to Aconcagua
- 11 Things to Do in Recoleta, Buenos Aires
- 11 Things to Do in San Telmo Buenos Aires
- 12 Things to Do in Ushuaia, at the End of the World
- 13 Things to Do in Mar Del Plata, Stroll Around “la Feliz”
- 14 Things to Do Around Salta, Not to Be Missed!
- 17 Best Places to Visit in Patagonia Argentina (Must-See + Map)
- 25 Things to Do in Córdoba in 2 Days
- 6 Things to Do in La Boca Buenos Aires
- 7 Best Things to Do in Catamarca Argentina
- 7 Best Things to Do in Puerto Madero in Buenos Aires
- 7 Days in Croatia Itinerary, a Memorable Trip!
- 7 Things to Do in Bariloche in Summer
- 7 Things to Do in San Pedro de Atacama and the Best Tours
- 7 to 15 Days in Turkey Itinerary, Superb!
- 8 Things to Do in San Martín de Los Andes
- Adobe Route in Catamarca, a Trip Back in Time
- Algar Waterfalls: How to Get There, Price and Advice
- Alicante With Kids, to Enjoy All Year Long
- Andalusia in 10 Days, Route Through Southern Spain
- Andorra With Kids, 10 Plans for the Whole Family
- Bariloche in 4 days, the best travel itinerary
- Best 10 Things to Do in Costa Blanca
- Best 7 Things to Do in Chilecito La Rioja Argentina
- Best Beaches in Southern Argentina
- Best Campsites in the Valencian Community, and Enjoy Nature!
- Best Cities for Your First Time in Europe, Suggested Itinerary
- Best Hotels in El Calafate: Where to Stay
- Best Things to Do in Alicante in 2 Days (Or More)
- Best Things to Do in Cappadocia in 3 Days or More
- Best Things to Do in Cullera in 1 Day (Besides the Beach)
- Best Things to Do in Denia in 1 Day to Enjoy in Family
- Best Things to Do in Dubrovnik in 1 Day
- Best Things to Do in Istanbul in 3 Days
- Best Things to Do in Morella in 1 Day
- Best Things to Do in PEñiscola in 1 Day
- Best Things to Do in San Sebastián, the Pearl of the Bay of Biscay
- Best Things to Do in Split in 2 Days
- Best Things to Do in Valencia in 3 Days (By a Local)
- Best Things to Do in Villajoyosa in 1 Day
- Best Things to Do in Zagreb in 2 Days
- Best Travel Insurance 2023 (COVID-19): Our Tips and Experience
- Complete Guide to Visit Titicaca Lake and Sun Island
- Croatia Road Trip 10 Days Itinerary
- Croatia Travel Guide, Itinerary and Tips
- Day Trips From Valencia: Best 5 Tours in English
- El Calafate in 4 days, the best travel itinerary
- El Chaltén in 3 Days, Travel Itinerary
- Essential Guide to Visit the Fallas of Valencia
- Getaways From Buenos Aires, the Best Places
- Guide to the Best Trekkings in El Chaltén
- Guide to Visit Machu Picchu, Tips and Advice
- Guide to visit Meteora and Its Floating Monasteries
- Guide to Visit Punta Cana, Tips and Must-See Sites
- Guide to Visit the Iguazu Falls From Both Sides
- Guide to Visit the Salar de Uyuni, the Best Tips!
- How Much Money to Travel to Asia
- How to Do the Route of the 7 Lakes in Patagonia Argentina
- How to Get From Bariloche Airport to the Center of the City
- How to Get From El Calafate Airport to the City
- How to Get From Mendoza Airport to Downtown
- How to Get From Salta Airport to Downtown Salta
- How to get from Ushuaia airport to downtown
- How to Get to Venice and How to Move Around? Get To Know the Best Options
- How to Travel Europe on a Budget, the Best Tips
- How to Travel Switzerland on a Budget, Tips and Prices
- Is Swiss Travel Pass Worth It, Tips and Examples
- Is Travel Insurance to Europe Mandatory?
- Mendoza travel itinerary in 5 Days, trekkings and nature
- Perito Moreno Glacier: How to Get There and Things to Do
- Quixote Route by Car, the Most Beautiful Villages
- Rent a Car in Fort Lauderdale 7 Tips!
- Rent a Cheap Car in Miami, Comparators
- Road Trip Greece in 5 Days From Athens, the Best Itinerary
- Road Trip in Asturias in 7 Days, the Best Itinerary
- Road Trip Through Mendoza and San Juan (+Map)
- Route Through Andalusia in 7 Days, Itinerary
- Route Through the Best Towns Near Alicante
- Rural Houses in Andalusia to Travel With the Family
- Rural Houses in Asturias and Cantabria to Travel With the Family
- Rural Houses in the Basque Country for Family Holidays
- Rural Houses in the Pyrenees to Travel With the Family
- The 10 Most Beautiful Villages in Andalusia
- The 6 Best Tours in Mendoza Argentina
- The Best Free Tours in Bilbao
- The Best Free Tours in Buenos Aires
- The Best Free Tours in San Sebastián
- The Best Free Tours in Seville
- The Best Itinerary to Visit Basque Country in 4 Days
- The Best Swiss Alps Tours, the Must-Sees
- The Best Things to Do in Argentina in 15 Days
- The Best Things to Do in Asturias in 4 Days
- The Best Things to Do in Buenos Aires in 4 Days
- The Best Things to Do in Downtown Buenos Aires
- The Best Things to Do in Gijon in 2 Days
- The Best Things to Do in Jujuy, a Province Full of Color
- The Best Things to Do in La Rioja Argentina in 3 Days
- The Best Things to Do in Punta Cana Top 13 Activities and Tours
- The Best Things to Do in Tandil in 3 Days
- The Best Things to Do in Tarifa in One Day
- The Best Things to Do in Villa la Angostura
- The Best Things to Do in Xátiva in One Day: Castle, Hiking and More
- The Best Tours From Bilbao, 6 Options to Choose
- The Best Tours From Seville
- The Best Tours in Bariloche
- The Best Tours in San Martin de Los Andes
- The Best Tours in Ushuaia: Mountains, Lakes, Sailing and More
- The Best Trekkings in Aconcagua Provincial Park
- The Essential Road Trip in Basque Country
- Things to Do Around Cordoba City in Argentina
- Things to Do in Altea in 1 Day and With Kids
- Things to Do in Anna Valencia in One Day: Lake and Waterfalls
- Things to Do in Athens in 3 Days, 6 activities not to be missed
- Things to Do in Bariloche: The Best Activities
- Things to Do in Bern in 1 Day
- Things to Do in Bilbao, the Most Avant-Garde Medieval City
- Things to Do in Bocairent in One Day
- Things to Do in Brava Lagoon and Surroundings
- Things to Do in Cabo de Gata in 3 Days, the Best Itinerary
- Things to Do in Cachi and Route 33 From Salta
- Things to Do in Cádiz, a Stroll Along the Spanish Malecon
- Things to Do in Cafayate, Between Vineyards and Ravines
- Things to do in Calingasta Valley, San Juan Argentina
- Things to Do in Calpe With Kids Besides Its Rock
- Things to Do in Córdoba Argentina, You Will Love It!
- Things to Do in Cusco in 3 Days, the Historic City of Peru
- Things to Do in El Bolsón in One Day (And Lago Puelo)
- Things to Do in El Calafate, Glaciers and Much More
- Things to Do in Esquel in 2 or 3 Days (And in Trevelin)
- Things to Do in Fiambalá Catamarca, Trails, Dunes and Relax in Hot Springs
- Things to Do in Gandía and Playa de Gandía, Our Home
- Things to Do in Guimaraes in One Day, the City Where Portugal Was Born
- Things to Do in Iguazú in 4 Days
- Things to Do in Interlaken in 1 Day, 5 Must-See Places
- Things to Do in Istria, the Best Road Trip
- Things to Do in Jávea: Old Town, Coves and More
- Things to Do in la Cumbrecita, Village With Swiss Charm
- Things to Do in Las Grutas Argentina, Beach and Surroundings
- Things to Do in Lima in 1 or 2 Days
- Things to Do in Lisbon in 4 Days, Travel Itinerary
- Things to Do in Lucerne in 1 Day, a City With Lots of Charm
- Things to Do in Marbella Apart From the Beach
- Things to Do in Mendoza City and Surroundings
- Things to Do in Montevideo in 2 Days
- Things to Do in Pergamino, Our Beloved City
- Things to Do in Puerto Madryn: Sea, Whales and More
- Things to Do in Salta and Jujuy, 4, 7 and 10-Day Itinerary
- Things to Do in Salta City: Not to Be Missed
- Things to Do in San Juan Argentina, Sunny Destination
- Things to Do in San Rafael Mendoza, 14 Places to Enjoy
- Things to Do in Santander in One Day, Essentials
- Things to Do in Seville in 2 or 3 Days, Must-See Places
- Things to Do in Sierra de Los Padres, a Getaway From Mar Del Plata
- Things to Do in Switzerland in 4 Days, Suggested Itinerary
- Things to Do in the Salar de Uyuni and Surroundings, the Most Incredible Places!
- Things to Do in Tucumán, City and Province
- Things to Do in Venice and Surroundings, the City of Canals
- Things to Do in Villa General Belgrano, Brewery Land
- Things to Do in Zadar in One Day, All Info
- Things to Do in Zurich in 3 Days, a Quiet Walk by the Lake
- Tips for Travel to Argentina (By a Local)
- Tours From San Sebastian to Enjoy
- Upsala Glacier Tour and Other Glaciers
- Ushuaia in 4 days, the best travel itinerary
- Visa to Travel to Cambodia 2023
- Visit Albufera Natural Park Near Valencia
- Visit Ischigualasto, the Valley of the Moon in San Juan
- Visit Tabarca Island: How to Get There and What to See
- Visit Talampaya in la Rioja Argentina: Everything You Need to Know
- Visit the Castle of Belmonte, a World Medieval Castle
- Visit the Covadonga Lakes and the Sanctuary
- Visit the Pumice Field in Catamarca and Route 43
- Visit to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe Hermitage
- Visiting Plitvice Lakes, a Complete Guide
- Walking Tours in Valencia, 5 Best Free Guided Visits
- What Is Etias, a Requirement to Travel to Europe
- What It Is and How to Be a Digital Nomad
- Where Are the Tamarros in Andorra? Find these 7 magical beings
- Where to Go on Summer Holidays in Patagonia
- Where to Stay In Bariloche: Cabins and Hotels
- Where to Stay in Bilbao, the Best Areas
- Where to Stay in Buenos Aires, Best Areas
- Where to Stay In Cappadocia, Best Cave Hotels and Areas
- Where to Stay In Dubrovnik, Best Hotels and Areas
- Where to Stay In Iguazú Falls, Argentina and Brazil Sides
- Where to Stay in Istanbul, Best Areas and Hotels
- Where to Stay In Jujuy, Recommendations
- Where to Stay in Mar Del Plata: Hotels and More
- Where to Stay in Mendoza, the Best Hotels and Cabins
- Where to Stay in Salta, the Best Recommendations
- Where to Stay in San Martín de Los Andes
- Where to Stay in San Sebastián, Best Areas
- Where to Stay in Seville: The Best Places
- Where to Stay In Split, the Best Areas
- Where to Stay in Ushuaia, the Best Options
- Where to Stay In Valencia: Best Areas and Hotels
- Where to Stay in Villa la Angostura, the Best Options
- Why Rent a Car in Los Angeles?
Leave a Reply